PARKING DECK RENOVATIONS ANNOUNCED
PERTH AMBOY, NJ—Mayor Wilda Diaz held a construction kick-off ceremony today to announce and witness the start of the major improvements to the Jefferson Street Parking Deck.
“Now, it is time to begin a well-deserved project and one that I have spoken about for some time, the Jefferson Street Parking Deck, which is the largest public parking location out of nine lots. Approximately 300 drivers occupy this deck on a daily basis and we want to ensure it’s in the best condition for our business owners, commuters, shoppers and residents,” said Mayor Wilda Diaz.
During the ceremony, Mayor Diaz was joined by city officials and the project engineer, Jim Zullo of Timothy Haahs and Associates, who shared importance of the construction/renovation plan which include:
- Concrete Deck Repairs
- Overhead Precast Filigree Slab Repairs
- Steel Beam Stiffening Repairs
- Application of Waterproofing Membranes on entire Parking Deck surfaces (with traffic deck coating membranes)
- Signage Improvement (New Entry/Exit Signs at the north wall, New illuminated "Parking" sign etc.)
- Stair Tower Safety Enhancement/Retrofitting
- Architectural Enhancement of Building Elevations (Repainting of Concrete Barrier Walls, Repainting of Steel Framing Members)
- Sealant replacement/Crack Repairs at floor deck joints
- Misc. Items (pigeon control system, dumpster enclosures etc.)
The deck was enhanced in December 2011 with lighting and surveillance cameras. The City of Perth Amboy continues to implement the Diaz initiated Capital Improvement Program to replace and improve equipment and city property. The 1972, three-hundred parking space deck will be completed by November 30th and the deck will remain open under construction.
About the Perth Amboy Parking Utility
The City of Perth Amboy Parking Services (Utility) mission is to provide convenient parking resources in business districts to support local businesses, to promote the free flow of traffic and pedestrian safety. In doing so it will generate adequate revenue to properly provide parking services, maintain and improve parking facilities and provide for future parking needs and economic development objectives. It shall also pursue the enhancement of the quality of life in nearby residential areas.
For additional information about the Perth Amboy Parking Utility: http://ci.perthamboy.nj.us/about-us.html.