Tax-Exempt Organizations are eligible for real property tax exemption if they meet the requirements set forth under the State statutes governing exempt organizations.
General Eligibility is determined by the following:
- the organization's purpose
- the property's use as of October 1 of the pretax year
- the absence, presence, degree and use of profits
- the property's ownership as of October 1 of the pretax year
- incorporation of the organization or its authorization to operate in New Jersey
- land area or existing building
- timely application as of November 1 of the pretax year
Because eligibility criteria varies from statute to statute, specific questions regarding an organization's exemption requirements should be directed to the Assessor. The complete application can be downloaded above.