City of Perth Amboy Flood Information
What Are The Risks and What Can You Do To Prepare?
The possibility of flooding is very real for The City of Perth Amboy but there are many ways to avoid risk and be prepared. Our staff at the Department of Code Enforcement is always ready to provide advice on mitigation and the requirements for building in a flood zone. Below are several FEMA publications together with links to websites regarding mitigation, insurance, and other potential financial assistance and being prepared. When in doubt, please contact us. We are here to help.
Local Flood Hazard
City of Perth Amboy Raritan River:
The Raritan River is a major river of central New Jersey in the United States. Its watershed drains much of the mountainous area of the central part of the state, emptying into the Raritan Bay on the Atlantic Ocean.
- Sources: Raritan River
- Length: 69.6 mi
- Mouth: Raritan Bay
Check Your Flood Vulnerability:
- Log onto www.floodsmart.gov to get a general rating flood risk.
- Log onto www.msc.fema.gov to view Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) that show which areas are included in the 1% annual chance (100-year) flood zone.
- Log onto www.fema.gov FEMA main website.
- https://www.fema.gov/library FEMA Library site.
- http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv/?site_no=01396060&PARA_cd=00065 USGS Waterwatch - Current
- Click on this LINK to see an overall map of Special Flood Hazard Area (100-year flood zone) in the City of Perth Amboy.
- Either come into the Department of Code Enforcement or call 732-826-0183, extension 4824. We are open 9:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday.
- Once you determine your risk, check into obtaining flood insurance for your home. A list of local insurance agents can be obtained at www.floodsmart.gov.