Perth Amboy Animal Shelter
597 Fayette Street
Perth Amboy NJ 08861
Phone: (732) 324-3877
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday; 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The Perth Amboy Animal Control provides many services including:
- Responding to calls of nuisance barking and stray dog(s)
- Investigation of animal cruelty
- Provide welfare checks on animals
- Animal bites and quarantine
- Rescue injured and sick animals
- Provide humane education
- Low cost spay and neutering
- Information on deterrents for wildlife and free roaming cats.
Lost a Pet:
If you’ve lost your pet, please go to the shelter to complete a lost pet report. If you have found a pet please call the shelter or between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4 p.m., please bring the dog or cat to the shelter.
Surrendering a Pet:
If you need to surrender your cat or dog please call to check if there is available space and to set up an appointment before bringing your pet to the shelter.
The shelter has limited space available. Please call the shelter first to check on space availability. To surrender a pet you must have id with your current address and be the true owner of the dog or cat. There is a surrender fee of $10.00 per adoptable dog or cat. Thank you for your understanding.
Free Rabies Clinic at the Public Works Garage:
Contact the Rabies Clinic for additional information on dates.
Dog and cat licenses expire every year on January 31. Licenses can be purchased at the City Clerk's Office located in City Hall, 260 High Street. Proof of rabies vaccine is required.
As a potential adopter, you must:
- Fill out an application in the Animal Shelter Office
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have identification showing proof of your current residence
- Have landlord's or property owner's permission to bring a dog or cat onto the property and to keep in your residence.
- The person filling out the application must be the potential adopter
We cannot guarantee the health and/or temperament of any animal. Leaving any questions blank or not being truthful on the application will result in a delay or refusal of your application. Please be certain that you have time to spend with your new pet, including the time for training (or re-training), and exercise. We hope you will agree that the animal's well-being is our first consideration. The shelter staff reserves the right to refuse any adoption. Thank you for considering one of our pets for adoption.